Established in 1900 when a private company, Muscatine Water Works, was providing Muscatine with unsafe water, straight from the Mississippi River. City Council members and community leaders were dissatisfied with the situation. They purchased Muscatine Water Works and set about to establish a safe, potable water supply for the city.
Established in 1922, Muscatine Electric Light Company was formed in response to local concerns about poor service from privately held electric companies.
Established in 1997, the Communications Utility was founded to provide cable tv and Internet services.
Workers used shovels and horses while digging frozen ground to build some of Muscatine’s first water mains on the south end of Oregon Street in 1904.
1906 Electric Power House Engine
Water and light panel trucks were a familiar site in 1948.
MP&W’s Original Downtown Office
Municipal Water Works founded
Muscatine Electric Light founded
Municipal electric and water utilities merge, becoming Muscatine Water and Light
Company name changes to Muscatine Power and Water
Communications Utility founded
MPW Cable launched
100-year anniversary of municipal water operations in Muscatine
Mediacom Communications Corporation’s Muscatine area cable system purchased
MPW Cable HD (high-definition television) launched with digital video recorder (DVR) capability & MachLink Lite
Major repairs from February ice storm, June tornado, and August wind storms