How can I use electricity most efficiently?
When you use electricity efficiently, you have greater potential to lower your electric bill. The list below provides recommended options for efficient energy use. Visit MPW’s Energy Smarts for additional tips for saving energy.
Air Conditioner (avg. 900 kWh/month based on six hours/day)
- Set your thermostat at 78º F during the day.
- Turn your air conditioner off during the afternoons when you are not at home.
- Buy cooling equipment with a high energy efficiency rating.
- Clean and replace filters regularly.
- Close your drapes and blinds during the day.
- Make sure your attic is insulated.
Electric Water Heater (avg. 400 kWh/month)
- Turn your water heater’s thermostat down.
- If you have a dishwasher, 140º F is recommended. If not, 120º F is adequate.
- Turn to “pilot” when you go on vacation.
- Install a water heater blanket on the water heater and pipe insulation on the first five feet of pipe coming out of the water heater.
Refrigerators/Freezers (avg. 150 kWh/month for 16 cu.ft. frost-free)
- Keep your refrigerator door closed as much as possible.
- Make sure your unit seals properly.
- Periodically clean the condenser coils.
- Do not allow frost to build up.
- Try to keep the refrigerator full (an empty refrigerator uses more energy).
Clothes Dryer (avg. 79 kWh/month)
- Avoid overloading.
- Clean the lint filter between every load.
- Try shorter drying times.
Electric Stove (avg. 62 kWh/month if used to cook three meals per day)
- Cut preheating time.
- Use a timer and keep the door closed.
- Prepare complete meals rather than just baking one item at a time.
- Never use your oven or stove to heat your kitchen.