Tips to Save Energy and Money During Cold Weather
February 16, 2021 | Posted in Electric Energy Smarts MPW News
Muscatine Power and Water is asking customers to be “energy-aware” and take steps to conserve energy while extreme cold weather temperatures persist, impacting energy supply around the country.
MPW’s systems are performing well, however, the extreme cold weather is impacting supply to produce electric energy due to frozen wells in the south. With temperatures that are expected to rise over the next week, the supply issue is expected to resolve on its own, but MPW is asking customers to help ensure supply remains available by participating in these tips to help reduce energy consumption:
Energy Conservation Tips During Cold Weather
Tips that can you save money on your utility bills while staying comfortable at home:
- If you have window curtains or shades, keep them closed during the evening/night to help reduce cold air leaking in through windows. Open them during the day when it’s sunny to help warm your home but keep curtains/shades closed where direct sunlight is not entering.
- Check your furnace filter to see if it’s dirty and replace it per the furnace manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Consider adding weather stripping where you feel cold air drafts through windows and doors.
- Clear snow/ice from plastic furnace intake and exhaust vent pipes to ensure there’s no blockage.
- Limit the use of space heaters and add layers of clothing or blankets. Be certain to place space heaters at least 3 feet away from other objects to prevent fires and make sure you turn it off if leaving the area.
- Ensure warm air is circulating indoors by checking your supply and return air vents, radiators and baseboard vents.
- DO USE a carbon monoxide detector to regularly test for carbon monoxide poisoning, which can cause flu-like symptoms and death. DO call 911 if you suspect you may have carbon monoxide poisoning in your home and seek fresh air outside or an alternate location immediately.
- DO NOT use a gas stove to heat your home.
- DO NOT run a generator indoors, which can contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- If you run natural gas and smell it in your home/building, leave the area immediately and call your gas utility.