The Electric Vehicle Advantage
Our EV1 has hit the road and is on a mission to educate the public on the benefits and advantages of electric vehicles (EVs)! The demand for electric vehicles continues to grow throughout the country and in our local area, as interest in clean technology grows and we want to ensure you have some good information about EVs to help you decide if investing in an EV is right for you.
MPW is investing in EV technology not only because interest in it continues to grow but also because it’s a cleaner technology that reduces emissions, will save the Utility money on fuel purchases, and nationally, helps our country have a greater diversity of fuel choices, reduces emissions, which contribute to climate change and reduces ecological damage. If any of these things are important to you, we encourage you to read on!
Save Money On Transportation
Did you know that EVs can save you money on fuel costs? They offer lower costs on “fueling” than the average conventional vehicles by using electricity to charge (fuel) the special battery that the car operates on instead of gas.
The average U.S. household spends nearly 1/5th of its total family expenses on transportation. EVs are much more efficient than gas-powered vehicles because electricity, which is generally more stable in price, is less expensive than gas. On average, the cost is about half as much to drive an electric vehicle compared to a vehicle that runs on gasoline.1
Charge and Go – Easy Ways to Charge an EV
Charging an EV is convenient! Rather than standing at a pump filling up with gas or diesel, charging an EV often takes place while sleeping, not to mention that you’ll no longer have to breath in toxic fumes from pumping gas/diesel. Understanding the different levels of charging an EV can help you evaluate whether an EV will be suitable for your driving needs. There are three main EV charger categories that are based on the maximum power the charger outputs to the battery:
- Level 1 (the household outlet way to charge) – does not require installation of additional charging equipment, using a 120 V AC household plug. On average, delivers 2-5 miles of range per hour charged.
- Level 2 (more common use for frequent drivers) – a 240 V (residential) or 208 V (commercial) plug is required along with additional charging equipment at this level. On average, delivers 10-20 miles of range per hour charged. This type of charger is generally used in homes, workplaces and at public charging stations.
- DC Fast Charge (used most often in public charging stations) – this type of 480 V AC charger requires specialized, high-powered equipment and special equipment installed in the vehicle (be sure to ask a dealer about this before purchasing an EV if you’re interested in installing this type of charger at your home or business). On average, this type of charger delivers 60-80 miles of range per 20-minute charge.2
Charge Locally and Nationally
Muscatine EV Charging Stations
MPW’s EV charging station, a Level 2 charger, is located in our front parking lot and available for the public to use. Though the majority of your EV charging will occur at home, you can find several other local and national public charging stations using mobile apps, making it more convenient to charge your EV on the go. Search your app store for “EV Charging App” or look for specific apps like PlugShare or EV Connect.
Current Muscatine EV Charging Locations by Address:
(*First hour is free, courtesy of MPW at MPW, Musser Library and The Merrill)
MPW, 3205 Cedar St, Muscatine, IA 52761
Musser Public Library, 408 E 2nd St, Muscatine, IA 52761
The Merrill Hotel, 119 W Mississippi Dr, Muscatine, IA 52761 (west-side parking lot)
HNI, 600 E 2nd St, Muscatine, IA 52761 (2 available for 4 cars)
Allsteel, 2210 2nd Ave, Muscatine, IA 52761 (2 available for 4 cars)
This article, Understanding Electric Vehicle Charging, provides some great detailed information that may further aid in your decision-making process on what type of charger might best suit your needs.
Interested in calculating the overall cost of EV ownership? Visit the U.S. Department of Energy’s Alternative Fuels Data Center Vehicle Cost Calculator to calculate and customize the overall cost of EV ownership based on your personal circumstances.
An Electric Vehicle Review
Hear from MPW General Manager, Gage Huston, about his experience since purchasing a hybrid and more about MPW’s electric charging stations.
MPW EV Rebates Available
If you have additional questions regarding EVs, please contact us.
- Source: Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy. https://www.energy.gov/articles/egallon-how-much-cheaper-it-drive-electricity#:~:text=Because%20electricity%20prices%20are%20a%20little%20different%20state,roughly%203%20times%20more%20than%20fueling%20with%20electricity.
- Source: Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy. https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/vehicle-charging