For home and commercial energy inspections, rebates, and other energy efficiency topics.
Electric Safety Education for Schools
MPW performs electrical safety demonstrations for 4th grade classes in the Muscatine area and other public events.
This is a great opportunity for students to learn about Muscatine Power and Water and how electricity is generated and distributed to homes to power everything we enjoy.
A live electrical demonstration is performed using safety measures that keeps our employees safe, helping children to identify hazards. This knowledge could help keep them and their families safe!
The demonstration explains the following principles, dangers, and general information:
- How electricity is generated at MPW
- Danger of climbing trees or fences near powerlines and substations
- Dangers of using metal ladders near electrical lines
- Dangers of flying kites near power lines
- The big green metal boxes and why it’s important to call Iowa One Call when digging at home
- Dangers of electricity used near swimming pools
- Dangers of power lines falling on a vehicle in a collision and what to do
Annual Energy Poster Contest
MPW sponsors an energy poster competition for fourth-grade students from the Muscatine area each year in early March. The competition follows energy efficiency presentations at each local school.
These scholarship opportunities support efforts to build our future workforce. Counselors at Muscatine High School have details on MPW Scholarships.
MPW $500 Scholarships
Each spring, MPW awards three $500 scholarships to children of MPW customers interested in pursuing a degree that is applicable to a future career/employment at MPW. Two $500 scholarships will be awarded to Muscatine High School Seniors and one scholarship will be awarded to a Louisa-Muscatine High School Senior. Degrees in STEM or business fields such as, Information Technology, Communications, Accounting, Engineering, Energy Efficiency, Environmental, Skilled Trades, etc., qualify for consideration. A separate scholarship is available for students interested in careers as electric line workers.
The American Public Power Association (APPA) has additional opportunities through its DEED Scholarship Program, mentioned below.
Edward Archer Memorial/MPW Powerline Scholarship
The Edward Archer Memorial/MPW Powerline Scholarship was established in memory of Ed Archer. Ed graduated form the Northwest Iowa Technical College Powerline Program and was a career employee at MPW. This memorial has been established by Ed’s wife, Kathy, and Muscatine Power and Water to promote the lineman trade and assist students preparing for a career in this field.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applied and been accepted to the Powerline Program.
- Possess a minimum high school GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Have a record of good class attendance and demonstrated leadership.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a high school teacher, high school guidance counselor, or current employer.
- Submit a personal letter addressing your desire to succeed in the profession.
Interested students may also review Northwest Iowa Technical College’s scholarship program.
APPA DEED Scholarships
Every year, the DEED Board allocates grants up to $125,000 to DEED member utilities for their research and $4,000 and $5,000 student research grants and internships to university students. Read about these DEED opportunities and other funding sources.